Weekly Photo Challenge:Merge

Photo taken by J. Ahern at the Brookfield Zoo exhibit Zoo Bugs.

This is an example of how bugs merge and camouflage themselves to avoid becoming dinner for another bug or animal.  Brookfield Zoo’s interpretation of this is a bit extreme, however, the name of the exhibit is “Extreme Bugs”.   Some people believe that the “Lady Bug” is a lucky and magical bug.  It is said that if a Lady Bug lands on you, then good luck will follow.  I wonder if this extreme Lady Bug is even luckier than the average garden variety.

There is a story from the Middle Ages where the crops were being eaten by insects, and people were starving.  They prayed to The Virgin Mary for relief.  The village was disappointed in their prayers when they discovered yet another insect in their fields.  Their disappointment was short-lived, however, when they realized that these bugs were killing the insects that had been dining on their food supply.  They called these wonder bugs, Lady Bugs.

Lady Bugs love to eat aphids. So if you have aphids on your roses or tomatoes, head on over to the garden center and purchase a carton of Lady Bugs.  They are sure  to solve your problem.

Check out the Weekly Photo Challenge: Merge at the Daily Post.  You still have time to submit a photo.

1. Jamie, you had done an awesome interpretation of the merge concept. I really love the story of the Middle Ages.

2. Missus Tribble

I love seeing Ladybirds on my brassicas and roses! We don’t get enough of them here though, although one year there was an absolute plague of them all across Britain. I wish that would happen again!

Ladybirds, bees, dragonflies and spiders (even though I’m afraid of them if they get in the house – spiders, that is) are always made welcome in my flower borders 🙂

• We did not have many here in the Midwest, USA. I think it was due to the drought we have been under this summer. I am always happy to see a lady bug (lady bird). 🙂

3. I found this post interesting because it would be quite a different exhibition here in the UK, where we call them ‘Ladybirds’. 🙂

4. I’m going to remember this next spring. 🙂

5. Love your take on the challenge. Thank you for the information on the Lady bug. I knew about it bringing good luck but not about the story from the Middle Ages. Great post.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

6. Yes, thank you for sharing the story; I’m fascinated. We mostly call them Ladybirds here in Australia, too. And there’s a children’s rhyme that starts ‘Ladybird, Ladybird, fly away home…’
    Great post – love your words and the terrific photo 🙂

7. Wow I LOVE THIS! Love ART in any form and really dig my Ladybugs. They keep this yard and flowers looking so good. They used to over winter in the walls of the house and when stove was cranked on a really nasty cold day they would just appear EVERYWHERE. Sadly since blowing insulation in to keep home warm I have not seen that many 😦 I may have to purchase some for next year if the numbers don’t come back up. I used to haul US Mail and several times I had let packages of them ride up front with me 🙂 Nice post thank the children 🙂

8. I love that photo 🙂

9. LOL! Great picture, and thanks for including the history of the name… I’ve heard them called both ladybird beetles and lady bugs, but either way, just like my garden spiders, they do keep the plant-eating bugs down!

10. Good information…didn’t realize it…Diane

11. I love VW Beetles! My husband wants to own one someday and paint it like Herbie the Love Bug! This pic really made me smile and I have always thought Lady Bugs brought good luck, not that I’m superstitious or anything I just like them.

12. Beyond The Green Door

Love the story and the Lady Bug history! And such a great picture!!!

13. Hi Big smile! Great pics! I love ladybugs and I always consider it good luck to see one especially if it lands on me, although I wouldn’t want the ones in the picture to do that, I still consider it good luck…Thanks for that. 😉

14. Very Creative website! New blog on the History of the Ladybug go to eblogger dot com search for History of the Ladybug.