Named for Naming: Things People Invented

The “Joey” Smore, captured by D.S.

In our family, there is a thing called a “Joey” Smore.  This is a perfect Smore recipe taught to us all by a Joey. You can make your own “Joey” Smore by cooking the marshmallows just right (not too brown, not too white) over a campfire, placing one Hershey chocolate square and smooshing it between two graham crackers. Walah! You have a “Joey” Smore.  It really is not a skill, but an art in making the perfect Smore.

In history, there have been many things named for the inventor. Some of these items include, Booze, which is named after E.G. Booze.  He made and sold whiskey in log cabin shaped bottles.

E.G. Booze original whiskey bottle shaped like a log cabin

Then you have Clara “Tootsie” Hirshfield, the daughter of Leo Hirshfield.  Leo was a developer of the first paper-wrapped penny candy in New York, 1986.  He named the famous Tootsie Roll candy after his beloved daughter.

Tootsie Roll

Dr. James H. Salisbury, and early food advocate, created the dish of Salisbury steak.  He advised his patients to eat the dish three times a day, and to limit their intake of “poisonous” vegetables and starches.  The Salisbury steak, an entrée made with cubed steaks and gravy, also became a huge hit for Swanson’s dinner night.

Salisbury steak in a TV dinner.

The most interesting story is of the Earl of Sandwich. Yep, you guessed it; he named that lunchtime favorite, the Sandwich.  The story goes that the Earl was a gambler and liked to play cards without stopping to eat.  He would have the servants bring him his meal and he would gather the meat, vegetables, and put them between the bread. This way he could eat it while he continued to play. Eventually, his “sandwich” became a staple of the American diet.

4th Earl of Sandwich

So many more things have been named after people. Do you know of any?  What to share?

References

Feeding America:Historic American Cookbook Project. (n.d.). Michigan State University Library.

Ranhofer, C. (1894). The Epicurean. New York: Charles Renhofer.

Stopera, D. (2012). 20 Things You Never Knew Were Named After People . Retrieved from BuzzFeed: 20 Things You Never Knew Were Named After People

1. This was really interesting. Apparently, Leotard is named after its inventor Jules Leotard… I just found that out. I don’t know why but this information makes me happy 🙂

2. I don’t have one to add, but I’m going to enjoy the follow-up comments and learning more! Thanks for the great post. 🙂

3. Well, this ain’t too polite a subject but when I was in plumbing school some 40 odd years ago, we were told the flushing Toilet was invented by Englishman,Sir John Harington. Thus the reason we sometimes refer to the ‘water closet’ as the “John”. Harington was a 16th-century author who not only came up with the idea but installed an early working prototype in the palace of Queen Elizabeth I.
    John Crapper of Seattle, invented the mechanical means to allow the toilet’s tank to refill automatically for the next persons use. It was called the ball Cock valve. Thus the reason we say when we have to ‘go’, we say I’m going to the Crapper. The water closet was just that. Since indoor plumbing was originally a retrofit into most homes, the only space normally available to install ‘the Crapper’ was in the ‘hallway’ close. Now you know!

• I heard about John Crapper, but never about Sir John Harrington and the water closet. Can you imagine life without a water-closet and a crapper in the house? I just don’t want to. LOL! Thanks for the great information. Enjoy the day! 🙂

4. It should have read ‘hallway closet’ … sorry

5. Interesting facts…don’t know of any offhand…Diane

6. Beyond The Green Door

What a fun and interesting post!!

7. Savvy of you to cite your references (and I see your English teacher side showing 😉 ), because some of these are almost too hard to believe…Booze? Really?!

• Once and English teacher always an English teacher. LOL! I find myself editing everything. Although, I am not so perfect at editing my stuff. I found a few of my own entries that are incorrect. I didn’t know that about “Booze” either. Great conversation starters. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Robin. Have a great day! 🙂

8. Interesting post….made me smile. Thanks. You got my mind thinking. I know one or two, but mind blank at the moment….age thing…lol

9. The Ferris wheel is named after its inventor, George Ferris Jr. And speaking of food, the graham cracker for that s’more is named after Rev. Sylvester Graham. Apparently he was an early health food advocate – I am not so sure he would approve of s’mores. But they sure are good!

• George Ferris was a genius to come up with the ever-loving ride The Ferris Wheel. I did not know the graham cracker was named after Rev. Graham. You are right, he probably would not approve of s’mores. Thanks for your contribution to Named for Naming! Great job. 🙂