Puns, a form of word play, are used to create humor and often require a large vocabulary to understand. You will know a pun as soon as you hear it and get the meanings. They usually make the listener groan…ugh. Newscasters love to use puns as do comedians and writers. Some famous people like William Shakespeare and George Carlin are known for their puns. Puns were also found in ancient Egypt, where they were heavily used in development of myths and interpretation of dreams.
Below are a few puns, some are mine and a few are from other “punsters”. Feel free to share your favorite puns.
1. I had a pool of thoughts concerning the recent economic downturn; however, they cannot hold water with the new statistics. Jamie Nowinski
2. White collars are clean because blue collars do all the dirty work. Jamie Nowinski
3. “No, ’tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church-door, but ’tis enough, ’twill serve: ask for me tomorrow, and you shall find me a grave man.” Romeo and Juliet (Act iii, S.1)
4. I used to work in a blanket factory, but it folded. www.DigitalDreamDoor.com
5. I made wine out of raisins so I wouldn’t have to wait for it to age. Stephen Wright
6. Energizer Bunny arrested – charged with battery. www.DigitalDreamDoor.com
7. When you dream in color, it’s a pigment of your imagination. www.DigitalDreamDoor.com
8. Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says Dam!’ www.DigitalDreamDoor.com
9. Two hydrogen atoms meet. One says, ‘I’ve lost my electron.’ The other says ‘Are you sure?’ The first replies, ‘Yes, I’m positive.’ www.DigitalDreamDoor.com
10. And then there was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did. www.DigitalDreamDoor.com
Copyright © Jamie Nowinski and Grandmother Wisdom/ Grandmother Musings 2012-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jamie Nowinski – Grandmother Wisdom/Grandmother Musings with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.