Night Owl vs Early Bird

My internal clock is set for burning the midnight oil and eating midnight snacks.  I am not sure why I enjoy staying up late and sleeping in, but I have always been dubbed a “night owl”.  I think it runs in my family.  My grandmother would stay up late watching TV until the screen went fuzzy.   I too have been known to go to bed with the birds singing.

The problem is that it is so very difficult to live and work in a world that demands that I wake up with the birds.  It is especially hard, after a long summer break, to suddenly wake up and live on a morning person’s schedule.  Coffee and lots of it is required to survive.

Morning people are a different breed from Night Owls.  They enjoy waking up to the sunlight and have no trouble getting all their work done before 8:00 P.M.  As a Night Owl, I start doing my best work at 8:00 P.M. and the creativity is really flowing after midnight when those early birds are fast asleep.   Going back to the world that strives on daylight time requires enormous energy for me.

The phrase of “Thank God It Is Friday” has a special meaning to a Night Owl, because it means that I can stay up late, once again.  The alarm is set to off and creativity flows once more.  The hardest part is going back to the weekday schedule and falling asleep on Sunday night.   I am a night owl living in an early bird world!

About these ads

What good is living life if you don't share all the experiences, mistakes, and knowledge you have gained? I am a grandmother, a Jr. High Teacher for 15 years, a wife of 31 years, a mother of two grown children, and I want to share my experiences.

1. i never eat late night snacks but i too am a night owl. the deeper the night is the more awake my brain gets.

2. While I was in the trucking world I woke each morning at 2 AM then left for Boston at 3 to be there for 4 AM then home between 5 PM and 10 PM no wonder I was always beat I was in my world and your world all in one day :)

3. I’m one of those morning people. Or at least I think I am. Maybe when we no longer HAVE to get up at 5, I’ll change my tune!

4. I unfortunately am both :( Right now without a job I can stay up till 4:00 a.m. and sleep until 8:00 a.m., I like the quiet, calm of the night. When I am employed though I am a 5:00 a.m. person and once in the routine even on the weekend it’s my wake up time and for the same reason, no one else is up, it’s calm and quiet.

5. Hey Jaime: I’m there with you. I am a total night owl and there is nothing better than knowing you can stay up as late as you want and just burn the midnight oil and create. I do have the bad habit of snacking especially with DARK CHOCOLATE, but life is short, right?

Great post. I really indentify with all that. :)

• Thanks Strawberry. It is really difficult for me to adjust to the early bird world. I am so much better at night. I am with ya with the chocolate snacking. LOL! :)

6. I still can’t figure out my pattern. I think I’m not an afternoon person. I go through phases were I’m up way to late and still get up early. Somewhere in between it gets difficult to rest up. So I can understand where you are coming from. Thanks for sharing!

• Some people may be an in – betweener. Not quite early bird and not quite a night owl. In-betweeners have the best of both worlds, in my opinion. They are able to adapt to anything. :)

7. I am a night owl trying to be an early bird for work. If I go to bed before 10pm I don’t sleep. Usually I get to bed by midnight and I have to get up at 5am for work. I try to be a good early bird, or at least I did when I first started my job almost 2 years ago. But now I don’t do well getting to bed early. What would an inbetweener be called I wonder?

• I don’t know? An In-betweener? LoL! I just thought about this when I commented on Nicole’s reply. I think In-betweeners have the best of both worlds. Thanks for commenting.:)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 354 other followers