Quotes From the Masters: Ovid

“Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” Ovid

The first two –weeks after my daughter was born was my introduction to being a worrier. I worried whether she was eating enough. When she would sleep too long, I could not enjoy the peace; instead, I would go and check on her every few minutes to see if she were still breathing. My mother must have wanted to change her phone number, because I would call her at all hours to ask her questions.

Then, when my daughter began to crawl, I worried that she would find something on the floor that would hurt her.  I worried when she did not seem to want to pull herself up on the coffee table. I worried that she was not walking soon enough. Consequently, I spent most of her childhood worrying.

When I think back on all the worrying I did, I realize that all the worry actually kept me from enjoying the stages of my daughter’s childhood.  It is sad, because I will never be able to retrieve those moments again.

It seems that the world is filled with reasons to worry.  I worry about my kids and grandkids, I worry about the economy, and I worry about making the car payment on time. There is a never-ending stream of things to worry about.  Sometimes it seems that if I did not have worry, I would not have anything.

Breaking the chains of worry, as Ovid suggests, would make me a happier person.  However, it is hard to give up the habit of worrying. I have been doing it for so long.

The benefit of letting go of my worry often goes unnoticed in my daily life. I just know that I feel better. A kind of mental freedom washes over me telling me that everything is okay.  The air suddenly smells fresher, people seem nicer, and things just fall into place.

If I could take Ovid’s suggestion to let go of the worry and choose happiness, my world may be a better place.  At least my own piece of the world could be better. Maybe I should announce one day of the year as “Worry-Free” Day. On this day, I am not allowed to fret, to be inhibited, or agonize over anything. I am only to be concerned with living each moment fully and completely. I will not let the future or the past interfere with my day.

Just some musings. Thank you to Robin at Bringing Europe Home for giving me the Quotes From the Master – Ovid to help in getting my inspiration.

About these ads

What good is living life if you don't share all the experiences, mistakes, and knowledge you have gained? I am a grandmother, a Jr. High Teacher for 15 years, a wife of 31 years, a mother of two grown children, and I want to share my experiences.

1. I haven’t explored your blog enough to know what, if any, spiritual belief system you ascribe to. So, if I’m out of line here, I apologize in advance. I am not offering this as a way to “convert” you, but as an offering of what came to mind as soon as I saw the quote.

Sometime recently, I saw one of those “cute” little pictures with a quote making it’s round on facebook, and it said something about the words Fear Not appearing in the bible 365 times. Indicating that in one of the biggest collections of world wisdom books that exists ~ good for reading and thinking about, even if you don’t ascribe to the belief system, has a daily reminder that we are not to live in fear. Worry is a symptom of fear.

Anyway, thank you for posting this.

Be well,
    Kina

2. Beyond The Green Door

What a great post — I think I could do with a “worry free day” once a year as well! It’s a hard thing to give up.

3. I did all that too, to say the least. For some, it’s a journey to break the chains. Great post, as always! Thank you!

4. Oh, I smiled when I read this, Jamie, because I could relate to it all! (But it keeps going–when they’re teenagers, I worry about them driving…etc., etc.) I am a habitual worrier, which is why the quote (and the “No Worries” name of that restaurant) resonated with me. But, I am learning to distinguish between worry and valid concern (don’t text while driving), and that helps. Now that the oldest are becoming more fearless in their travels (studying in Beirut and Santiago), I joke that I live in denial. One mom said, “That’s another way of saying that you live in faith.” I guess I like that better. ;-)
    Thanks for joining the challenge and for a spot-on post, Jamie!

• Thanks, Robin! It doesn’t matter how much my kids age, I still worry over them. But, there are some things I just cannot fix or help them with in their lives. Consequently, I have to put it all in God’s hands and believe that he is protecting them from harm. I still make my son text me so that I will know he made it home after a visit with me. He lives in another state. So I can just imagine how you feel with your children studying in Beirut and Santiago. :) You know I love your “Quotes from the Master” Challenge. I look forward to the next quote. Have a great weekend, Robin! :)

5. I used to worry a lot more than I do now…but I did and about my children when they were growing up also..Also I used to worry about what I said or did or what others thought of me and the list went on. I believe now that I stop myself (ha!..God stops me) when I go into that mode…….not that it never creeps back in as most recently it really did but usually I can give it to God and then ‘hope’ for the best…Diane

• I was a lot like you in that I would always worry about what people thought. I still have days when I worry, but as I get older, it has lessened. Sharing the worry with God has helped. Enjoy the evening, Diane. :)

6. I see that you already have it, but I, too, am nominating you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. You know how it works, should you choose to do it again.

• Maggie, thank you very much for the being so kind. I am honored to accept your nomination and grateful to you for thinking about me. Have a wonderful evening! :)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 284 other followers