The Ideal Homemade Weed Killer

Using store bought weed killer is not only bad for you and the environment, but it is expensive.  I have tried many homemade versions of weed killer; however, this one works the best.

Ingredients:

Vinegar

½ cup Kosher Salt

1 teaspoon Dawn Dish Detergent

Directions:

Dedicate a spray bottle just for the Weed Killer. You can find pint spray bottles at the Dollar Store.  Be sure to label the bottle!

1.   Pour vinegar into bottle leave about 2 inches at the top.

2.  Add the ½ cup of Kosher Salt.

3.  Squirt 1 teaspoon of Dawn Dish Detergent into the bottle.

4.  Screw sprayer on to bottle tightly.

5.  Shake to mix.

6.  Spray those weeds!

Hint: If the sprayer on your bottle has a stream adjustment, use it to keep the Weed Killer just where you want it to go.

WARNING:  This is strong stuff! Do not spray on vegetation you want to keep. Do not spray on a windy day. Keep out of reach from children and pets.

After using Homemade Weed Killer

I would love to know how it works for you.  Let me know your results.

What good is living life if you don't share all the experiences, mistakes, and knowledge you have gained? I am a grandmother, a Jr. High Teacher for 15 years, a wife of 31 years, a mother of two grown children, and I want to share my experiences.

1. I’m keeping this handy…we have to buy ‘kosher’ salt…what is the difference and does every grocery store carry it? Diane

2. This is so helpful! Now, I can control weeds without feeling guilty… Thank you so much!

3. I’ve tested this on a patch of my front lawn that I was continually pulling crab crass and broad leaf weeds. Back in January, I cleared a patch of the front lawn, mixed vinegar and water together and saturated the dirt. It’s June and I’ve yet to see any weeds growing in that area.

I didn’t use the kosher salt though – I think if you’re using it to prevent weed growth vs. kill existing weeds- you can get by with just vinegar and water.

4. I have got to try this. Thanks Jaime!

5. Someone just asked me about this! Yay , now I can give them something good to try! Thank you!

6. Pingback: Sunday Spin-Grandmother Musings « 4amWriter

7. Wow, this is great! I’m going to mix up a batch right now. Thanks!

8. I share your care for the environment. Way to go on the home made weed killer. I bet the bees would vote for it too.

• Thanks so much! Hopefully more people will try more natural methods of weed killing rather than the commercial products. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy the evening. ;)

9. I will try this on Poison Ivy and this new weed we have in NH like a Knot type grass I use boiling water on ones that grow up through cracks in my brick patio :)

10. This so odd…just a few days ago my mom-n-law was remarking about using vinegar to kill the weeds in the cracks on the driveway. I didn’t remark at the time finding it an odd use. well low and behold here you go!

11. Thank you. I shall try it…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 346 other followers